Monday, September 10, 2012

Tending Souls - 9/2/2012 UU Church of Meadville


“…we can never be born enough.
we are human beings for whom birth
is a supremely welcome mystery.
the mystery of growing,
the mystery which happens only and whenever
we are faithful to ourselves.
life for eternal us is now.”
e.e. cummings

Ineffable to Ineffable
            We are in the business here, of tending souls.  It is difficult, yet rewarding work, complicated by our theological diversity and by our natural resistance to religious language.
            Our Universalist heritage teaches that all souls are ultimately reconciled with God and when I speak of our souls, I am speaking of that ineffable part of us that longs for connection with the ineffable that we call by many names: Spirit of Life, God; Yahweh, Elohim, Allah; Mother-Father God; Beloved Mystery, Nature, the Oversoul, the Collective Unconscious, the Ground of our Being, Holy One, Transcendent Love. 
            No one knows for certain about that ultimate reconciliation of ineffable soul to ineffable source, but we do know – in the meantime – that “life for eternal us is now” and so when I speak of tending souls I am also speaking of our evolving human-ness that experiences reverence, awe, and wonder in nature; I am speaking of that unique personal core, that unique spark and spirit of life within us, that longs for love, and purpose, and connection not only with the ineffable, not only with the natural world of which we’re part, but also longs for connection – deep connection -- with other human beings.

Meeting J
            We are in the business of tending souls and earlier this summer we had a chance to do just that at our Harry Potter daycamp.  Our theme was "Lumos" -- which, in Harry Potter parlance is the incantation for “let there be light.”  Our focus was on the light that is all around us, and the light that shines from within us.
For example, when we considered the light that is all around us we talked about the sun and stars, and we talked bioluminescent creatures – we even had a live, bioluminescent scorpion that we checked out under a black light.  When we considered the light within each one of us, we talked about a person’s kindness and strength, their compassion and their creativity, their power to offer blessings to the world by the way that the treat other people.
11 children came to the camp, their ages ranging from 6 to 15.  One of those children was “J”, a 13-year old boy who has recently undergone those growth spurts that 13-year old boys endure -- at times he seemed to be all feet and gigantic sneakers.
There is a truth that is hard for me to admit to you:  I was nervous when J first arrived because I recognized immediately that he would require a lot of attention, and I did not know if we were prepared –-- I did not know if I was prepared -- to work with him.  
When in doubt, gather information.  I talked to J’s mother who explained to me that he has the mental capacities of a 6-year old boy in that evolving 13-year old body.  She shared a litany of his medical conditions which include, in her words, mental retardation, ADHD, autism, and epileptic seizures that play havoc with his memory – especially around language.  This makes it hard for him to remember and to follow directions.
As I listened to his mother it became clear to me that she is a fierce, devoted and frankly exhausted mother who must advocate for her son every single day.  She is a loving mother, too, who ended her litany with these words: “My boy is also smart, and he is sweet.”

Seeing J: What the Heart Understands
            I worked closely with J during the week, witnessing the challenges and frustrations he experiences due to that list of conditions that are beyond his control.  I saw the smart and sweet, and even the funny J, too.
More importantly, I witnessed J’s yearning to believe in and trust in us, trust that we were not going to exclude him because of his differences because let me tell you something:  he may struggle to understand a lot of things but he understands exclusion, he experiences it often.  He doesn’t know why it happens – he’s doing his best – but for reasons he is unable to grasp his best is often not good enough and he is teased, turned away, left out, excluded.  This hurts him, deeply.
If we are truthful, each one of us has experienced exclusion, has been judged “lacking” because of some innate “other-ness”, has been rejected despite our best offer of our true-est selves.  We can understand J’s yearning to be a welcomed part of a beloved community that sees us, cares about us, accepts us as we are.  We walk through these doors seeking something and we understand J’s yearning for a beloved community committed to sticking with us as we continue our personal evolutions, continue our shared journeys toward wholeness. 
We understand J’s longing because we, too, long to be met at soul-level, we long to get to that place of which Rumi sings – that place beyond all ideas of rightdoing and wrongdoing.  It is a place of soul-tending and risk-taking where we can share the deepest longings common to the eternal us:  our longings for love and purpose.
            Mid-week of Harry Potter camp J led Lisbet and me to that place of soul-tending because he had the innocent courage to ask for what he needed. 
            “Tell her about me,” he said to Lisbet, pointing first to himself and then to me.  “Tell her about me.”
            Lisbet could have responded in many ways.  She could have told me all the things I already knew, all the things that were so immediately evident upon meeting J, all the factual things that J's mother had shared with me on that first day of camp.  But that's not what J had asked for.   When he said “Tell her about me” what he was really asking was, “please, see ME…see ME in all my wholeness, please see the SOUL of me that is not retarded or autistic or epileptic or forgetful or frightening or unnerving; please, see the SOUL of me that is so much greater than all of those things that keep me apart.  Please, come with me to that place of understanding; please, can we go together to that place of SOUL-TENDING."
And then Lisbet offered J the gaze of blessing.  "Carmen," she said, "this is J.  He is a kind person with a big heart.  He is a little mischievous, and he also wants to do well.  His grandfather died recently, and J misses him terribly.”
J had been watching and listening as Lisbet spoke.  When she finished he looked at me, nodded, and said, "Yes.  Yes."
            J’s little shining face was a billboard-sized affirmation of inherent worth and dignity.  In those moments of soul-tending, he had not been found lacking – this is so much a part of his ordinary experience. 
Rather, for those soul-tending moments, two people had taken the time to journey with him, to be present to him, to witness that truest part of him that he knows is in there.
It was a moment of grace.  It was sacred respite from the chaos and cruelty, suffering and frustration, that is so often his daily bread. 
We had been called on to tend a soul, and we did not fail him.

Souls Flat & Flabby
I could end this sermon right now, end it on this sentimental, feel good note.  But we must remember that our religion calls us beyond sentiment, and that our shared ministries must be more than sentimental, feel good, sunshine moments because – as you heard in this morning’s reading -- "whenever struggle is replaced by sedate doctrines our souls go flat."  I would add that our souls go flabby if we settle always for "doing good" rather than "being with."
We are here, together, because we do not want our souls to go flat or flabby.  We are here, together, because we choose to be – choose the meaningful work of tending souls by way of the comforts and challenges that we offer to one another, we, the eternal us, engaged in the living quest for love and purpose.
Because I do not want our souls to go flat or flabby I cannot leave you with only the tender moments of J's affirmation, "Yes! Yes!"  There is more to the story – a harsh second chapter that involves misunderstandings, accusations, offenses, defenses, and a series of phone calls that resulted in J’s mother deciding that he would not be allowed to come back on Friday, to the final day of camp. 
I was devastated.  Here’s the evolved truth:  on that last day of camp I was as eager to see and spend time with J as I had been nervous and hesitant to spend time with him on that first day of camp.
I had a choice:  to let it go, or to try again for connection.  In this instance letting go would be the easiest thing for me to do because it had all grown so complicated. 

The Meaningful Way
But our religion does not beckon us toward the easy way, it beckons us toward the meaningful way.  The meaningful way is the soul-tending way and without connection, it’s just not going to happen.  My heart reminded me of my connection to J -- “Tell her about me” –and so I picked up the phone to call his mother.  "There’s been a terrible miscommunication," I said to her, "and I am so sorry for my part in it.  Could we try to find our way to a different place?”
            I am pleased to tell you that we did find our way to a different place, pleased to tell you that I was there when J came running through the Parish House doors to sign in for his final day of camp.  And I’m going to also tell you that my heart broke a little bit when he looked at me and said, “My mom told me that I upset people here and I didn’t mean to do it and I’m so sorry, it made me sad and it made me cry when I thought about it.” 
            The work of soul-tending comes down to this:  Are we “a healing presence for one another, or a hurting presence”[1] for one another?  Actually, the answer is always YES.  If we are connected, rather than indifferent, if we are open, rather than arrogant, if we are loving, rather than fearful, if we are robust in soul rather than flat or flabby in soul, then the answer will always be yes:  we are either healing presence or hurting presence for one another. 
When J offered me an apology he really did not need to give, I had to choose between being a healing presence or hurting presence.  If I tried to truthfully and simply assure him that he had had no real part in it all, that would only have further confused and thereby further hurt him. 
His apology, although totally unnecessary, was the very best he had to offer in that moment.  And so under the gaze of J’s blessing I said, “Everything is okay.  Please don’t worry.  I’m glad you’re here.”  In that soul-tending moment I was a healing presence for J; but here’s what I really want you to know:  in that soul-tending moment, he was a healing presence for me.
We choose to be together here, engaged in the soul-tending, meaningful work of comforting and challenging, encouraging and forgiving, teaching and learning, connecting and reconnecting in our quests to live with love and purpose.

Life for eternal us, is now. 




[1] From Marilyn Sewell, as heard in the documentary Raw Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment